This bed-sized quilt is taking so much time to finish! It is the project which makes a useful item from my free-motion practice pieces. I decided to revise the design two months ago, discarding pieced sashing for solid purple. I had spent so much time making the pieced sashing, I decided to use it to cover cording for the outer edge of the quilt…another technique I wished to practice.
The squared corners are tricky. Piping does best on rounded corners. While sewing the piping at a corner, it is better to sew one diagonal stitch, rather than pivot on a single stitch. On the corner I photographed, I think I can tease out the slight wrinkle visible on top, when I hand-sew the border’s facing from the underside. That is what I’ll be doing this week. Here are photos of the process: